Increasing Fertility With Acupuncture
The merits of acupuncture, the ancient Chinese practice of 5000 years, have been debated for years. But one thing is agreed upon – acupuncture does have an effect on the body and it does reduce stress and produce relaxation.
The Effects of Acupuncture On Fertility
Although small studies into the effects of acupuncture on fertility show promising results, more research is needed. Infertility is a touchy subject with many couples, more so these days, due to the fact that women get pregnant later in life in their 30s and 40s. When a couple fails to get pregnant the natural way, they call upon medicine to help. And medicine came forward with some solutions; from procedures and medication to increase hormone levels to IVFs, in an attempt to remedy the situation.
But when there is no clear explanation for not conceiving – when all tests came out to be normal, modern medicine has no answers.
How Acupuncture Can Help With Fertility
It is a well-known occurrence that when stress levels are high, sometimes due to the fact that pregnancy is not achieved, it is more difficult to conceive. That is one of the reasons doctors agree that the ancient art of acupuncture can alleviate some of the problems when trying to become pregnant.
It is a relatively inexpensive treatment that is readily available. It is meant to open energy channels (meridians), increase blood flow and energy (chi).
How Can Acupuncture Increase Fertility?
- Increase blood flow to the uterus and muscle relaxation achieved through acupuncture may give the embryos a better chance of implanting because of improved endometrial lining.
- One of the reasons for not conceiving is an inflammatory process that affects the whole body, creating an environment that is not beneficial to the sperm. Acupuncture can help reduce inflammation.
- When there are many follicles but not enough mature eggs, acupuncture has been shown to help mature the eggs and induce ovulation.
- Research also shows acupuncture may be helpful when undergoing IVF by keeping good blood flow and reducing stress.
- Acupuncture may help in male infertility as well by increasing the sperm count and its motility. In a study published in “Fertility and Sterility” magazine in 2005, researchers analyzed sperm samples before and after acupuncture. The findings? There was an increase in the number of normal sperm and decrease in the number of structural defects.
A German Study done in 2002 suggests that acupuncture actually works. The study looked at 160 women undergoing IVF, half receiving acupuncture 25 minutes before and 25 minutes after embryo transfer, and half that did not. The pregnancy rate among the women without acupuncture was a little above 26%. The rate for a successful pregnancy among the other group stood much higher, at over 42%.