A Chiropractor is More Than a Back Massage
More than 22 million people in the United States visit a chiropractor each year. The majority of these visits are for spinal alignments. A spinal realignment is a readjustment of the spine meant to relieve the patient of acute or chronic lower back pain, and treat other ailments to the body.
Spinal realignment is a relatively simple, safe, and effective procedure done by pressing and working the muscles around the spinal cord. But, this is not the only treatment a chiropractor can provide. Depending on your diagnosis a chiropractor may implement one of many other pain relieving techniques.
What Other Types of Treatments Can a Chiropractor Employ?
Chiropractors have many techniques to alleviate ailments around your body. Here are some of the treatments chiropractors have other than spinal realignment.
- Chiropractors will apply heat and ice to sore areas and stiff muscles. The changes in temperature relieve pain and relaxes muscles allowing better flexibility throughout the back and body.
- Corsets or Braces are usually used on children under the ages of eleven and fourteen. These are used to treat a curvature of the spine known as idiopathic scoliosis. Braces can stop the progression of this curvature by supporting the spine, but cannot reverse damage that has already occurred.
- Some chiropractors believe that using ultrasound stimulates the muscles, tendons and joints of the body. This is meant to speed up the healing process of the body.
- Chiropractors will create diet plans for their patients. Excess fat in your stomach area causes your body to lean forward. This stretches the back muscles putting extra strain on your lower back. By losing weight you can reduce this strain.
- Chiropractors use strength and conditioning exercises to help their patients lose weight relieving stress on the lower back. They also strengthen the core muscles of the body which support 50% of the bodies weight. Stronger core muscles will also work to relieve stress from the back.
- Chiropractors will also implement relaxation therapies designed to relieve your everyday stress. Excess amounts of stress will cause your muscles to tense. This reduces flexibility and can cause back pain. By relieving this stress, patients can regain this flexibility without having to rely on physical treatments.
Get the Best Treatment Possible
The best chiropractor will give you a proper diagnosis of your ailment and implement the correct treatment of it. Make certain that the chiropractor you go to has the proper certifications to perform the treatments on you. The experts at Scottsdale Restorative Medicine are fully trained and certified to perform any treatment you need. Contact us today.